Coleslaw is not a bean dish, but it sure is a great compliment to bean dishes.
Please read as a template, with the invitation to mix and match ingredients and alter proportions to suit your taste.
We would include more photos, but we already ate all of it.
Slaw veggies: crunchy things
- Cabbage (any kind; we used green)
- Radicchio (can swap in another bitter leaf, like endive)
Slaw sauce: wet things
- Something acidic: apple cider vinegar, rice vinegar, or lemon juice
- Something salty: soy sauce, tamari, aminos, or fish sauce
- Something sweet: honey, maple syrup, or sliced apple
- Something fatty: extra-virgin olive oil
How to Make
- Slice veggies. We use a mandolin, but you need not. We like thin, but we're all about body positivity when it comes to coleslaw.
- Make sauce. Ideal ratio is 1 acidic : 1 salty : 1 fatty, with sweet to taste.
- Mix sauce into veggies with hands.
- Optional: let sit for a while in the fridge to soak up flavors.