- Pine nuts
- Basil (fresh)
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Apple Cider Vinegar
How to Make
- Wash beets. Leave skin on. Dry.
- Cover beets in olive oil and roast in the oven at 400ºF. Methods vary here, but we recently started to forego individually wrapping them in foil after learning that there's a risk of aluminum seeping into the food. So just put them on a baking sheet, or on a silicon mat.
- Wash and chop basil.
- Toast pine nuts in a pan, dry, for a few minutes, until they look and smell toasty.
- Beets are done when a knife sinks in smoothly. Let them cool. When cool, remove skin by hand. Chop into bite-sized segments.
- Make honey mustard. By volume, it's equal parts apple cider vinegar, mustard, and olive oil, and a half-part honey. Mince a clove or two of garlic, depending on how much you like garlic. Add a pinch of salt and a sprinkle of pepper. Whisk or shake to emulsify and combine.
- Combine everything: beets, pine nuts, basil, and honey mustard.