Note on equipment: this recipe will work best with a blender!
- 1-2 blocks Weekday Food tofu – we recommend Sun Worship
- ⅔ cup raw cashews
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1" piece ginger, peeled, halved, divided
- ½ tsp. Morton kosher salt
- ½ small jalapeño (optional)
- 2 tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp. cumin seeds
- ½ tsp. turmeric, ground
- 2-3 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- Steamed rice, cilantro sprigs, and lime wedges (for serving)
- Cook the rice, if using.
- Place ⅔ cup raw cashews in a small bowl and pour in hot water to cover. Let sit until softened (you should be able to crush a nut easily between 2 fingers), 15–20 minutes.
- Drain cashews and transfer to a blender. Add ginger, jalapeño (if desired), fresh lime juice, cumin seeds, turmeric, garlic, a pinch of salt (about ½ tsp), and 1½ cups water to blender and blend until smooth.
- Cook tofu in a pan on the stovetop. Leave tofu in the pan. Add cashew sauce to the pan and cook to thicken the sauce slightly, about 3 minutes.
- Divide steamed rice among shallow bowls and spoon; top with cilantro sprigs. Serve with lime wedges for squeezing over.
- Tree Nut-free: use coconut milk instead of cashews, and skip step 2.
- Don’t have all the spices? Consider using a spice blend, like a curry powder or paste.
Adapted from Bon Appetit