Equipment note: requires ice cream maker and a blender
- 2 blocks Weekday Food chickpea tofu – we recommend Fine Sea Salt
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons organic or granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- ¾ cup refined coconut oil, melted, cooled slightly
- Remove tofu from package. Blend tofu, sugar, salt, and seeds from vanilla bean all together in a blender. With motor running on medium, slowly drizzle in coconut oil and purée until thick and creamy, being careful not to overblend or the mixture will curdle.
- Immediately process tofu mixture in ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s directions. (Head’s up: this will take longer than a traditional dairy-based custard to reach soft-serve consistency.) Do not chill before processing or oil will harden into tiny bits and texture will be grainy.
- Transfer to an airtight container and press plastic wrap directly onto surface. Freeze until firm, at least 4 hours.
Adapted from Bon Appetit